Pages

Wednesday 14 October 2015

A Frustrating Few Days

It's saying something when it's mid October, winds are coming straight from Russia, your nearest headland has had Olive-backed Pipit, Little Bunting, two Red-backed Shrikes and numerous other scarcities, and the highlight of the week so far is...

Second from right...

At the back

Yes, a weirdo duck.  I'm pretty sure it's a MallardxGadwall hybrid, and it was a nice bird, but please I want proper birds!!

To be honest the wind has been a major problem, for both birding and ringing.  I've tried checking all the sheltered spots but that's still turned up nothing. I know Bun's spent a lot of time out and about too, and no doubt Ian M - yet not even a Yellow-browed Warbler to show for our efforts. Grrrrrrr. 

I can't really grumble too much as I have seen plenty of birds, just not anything special. I had my first Redwing over the house after dark (whilst bringing the washing in, see there is an up side to house work!) on Monday night, and this morning I saw my first day time ones with five on Beer Head just after dawn.  Also on Beer Head this morning a good passage of Skylark east, along with a few Siskin, two Redpoll and some invisible Crossbills (sounded like a small flock).    I was actually up there ringing, I decided to go for it despite the wind. As there's a bird ringing post coming up on this blog I wont give any details of what we caught (it wasn't much!), but as a teaser, here's the best bird from the mist nets this morning...

3 male Firecrest

Oh well, try again tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment