Pages

Tuesday 8 January 2013

A Dull Few Days

The post title summarises both the weather and the birding.

Except for standard fare, I've had no year ticks worthy of mention within the last couple of days. I really hope the forecasted cold weather happens - and that it does something!

This has to be the poorest winter for wildfowl that I've ever experienced on the Axe. I've seen no Shoveler anywhere, and Wigeon and Teal numbers seem to be very low. I would expect at the very least to be seeing about 800 Wigeon now, I can't say I've seen even half that number. Oh well, I guess it will make finding an American Wigeon or Green-winged Teal that bit easier! :-)

I keep dipping these two bloody Redpolls too, at Seaton Marshes. A visit here yesterday gave me nothing better than these Snipe sat out chilling on the Estuary mud... 

Why don't Jack Snipes ever do this?
I found a lovely muddy field yesterday near Bindon Barns which was just packed with birds.  Easily 700 thrushes, 100 Chaffinches, and plenty of Pied Wagtails, Skylarks and Meadow Pipits.  When the weather does brighten up, I'm definitely going back here - there's got to be at the very least a Brambling amongst them.

I spent quite a bit of time with the gulls yesterday too, but just have two (non-ringed) Med Gulls to show for it, a first-winter and an adult. Both 'new' birds for me.

I did promise more blog posts this year - I didn't say they were going to be interesting ones though...

No comments:

Post a Comment