Pages

Thursday 2 August 2012

A Rather Autumnal Update

I'll start with this morning, and Black Hole Marsh was lovely. Mostly because this juv Wood Sandpiper was still present...

It spent most of the time miles away - thankfully though it did eventually come close!

Also an obvious increase in Blackwits, with 27 all looking superb. Otherwise waders were represented by; two Greenshank, four Green Sands, eight Common Sands and six Dunlin. Non-wader highlights included my first Yellow Wagtail of the autumn, feeding with Pied Wags on the marsh (quite vocal it was too!) and two Gadwall still.

When I got back home this morning, I was greeted by this on the front of the house...

My first Jersey Tiger of 2012

Yesterday, all I had time for was a quick look along the Estuary mid afternoon. Nothing of note, although this gave me a bit of a fright...

Yes the one on the wood - looking a bit Caspian-ish...

For a time I thought I could have a first-summer Caspian Gull, but it wasn't. In fact when it landed in the water in turned in to a very bog standard-looking Herring Gull!

The previous day, a look along the Estuary revealed my first juv's of Great Black-backed and Yellow-legged Gulls of 2012. I was a bit hesitant of the YLG first because it had some notches around the tips of the otherwise black tertials, but everything else, especially size and structure (it was a hefty thing!), spot on...

Gav had possibly another two later on

I had a colour-ringed Black-headed Gull on Black Hole Marsh on 20th July, and have just received the details for it. It is always interesting to read a long list of re-sightings on colour-ringed birds, but it was equally interesting to read that Black-headed Gull white TNAR was ringed only a month before I saw it! On 19th June 2012 it was ringed as a second calender year male on Przykona Reservoir, Turek, Poland. And it was next seen by me on Black Hole Marsh!

No comments:

Post a Comment