Pages

Friday 16 March 2012

Proper Passage

Last night at work, there was an impressive passage of Redwings going over - lots of 'seeeeps' coming from the dark and misty skies above. I've always found that a good movement of Redwings at night is usually a good sign for the following day.

My first trip out today was to Lower Bruckland Ponds, still no Night Heron! There were a couple of singing Chiffchaffs though (plenty of these around at the moment - it seems to be a good spring already for this species), and nine Sand Martins feeding over the ponds...

Here's seven of them - though I took this when they went quite high up!

A walk around the fields above Beer Cemetery showed 50+ Meadow Pipits and a couple of fly over alba Wagtails.

I have also made two visits to Beer Head today, determined to see a Wheatear (everywhere else is getting them!). Visit one mid morning was very promising, with a few small flocks of Meadow Pipits over north, two Blackcaps in the bushes and a pair of Stonechats along the entrance track. The male was singing...

Nice - but not a Wheatear!

Then there was visit two to Beer Head. It only lasted about five minutes, and that's because soon after walking across the first cattle grid I glimpsed the much anticipated flash of white! There was my first Wheatear of 2012...

What a beaut :-)

It soon found the two Stonechats I had seen earlier and started hanging out with them...

Wheatear and Stonechat

I have my car back everyone! YEAH! Luckily, it didn't cost as much as I thought it would either (just into three figures). Each time something goes wrong now though, I think more and more about getting a new set of wheels. But, there are not many cars more economical than a 1.5 diesel Peugeot 106.

No comments:

Post a Comment