Pages

Thursday 10 November 2011

Not A Wet One!

I didn't set my alarm this morning, as a check of all the weather sites and forecasts late last night said this morning was going to be a wash out! Not so.....

I got up just after 8am, and was shocked when I looked out the window to see high cloud, some blue sky and next to no wind! Argggggh!

There was a ringing session planned this morning for Colyford Common, which the night before I presumed would be cancelled. So I went here first but couldn't see any ringing activity around the crop field/north end of the common (this is where our late autumn sessions are held), so I assumed it was called off!

It was still worthwhile coming here though. On the common five Rock Pipits were feeding, with a Chiffchaff in nearby trees and overhead a flock of seven Crossbills flew east. I was surprised how few there were though, as when I first heard them it sounded like there were literally hundreds in the air! On Colyford Marsh, the Brent flock has increased by one to eleven birds - eight of these being juvs...

Geese on Colyford Marsh are always a nice sight - even the 70 odd Canadas!

At Lower Bruckland Ponds, the Cetti's Warbler was still singing away on the lower pond. There wasn't much else here - although a Wren gave me a fright as it did a bit of a weird call once or twice, which sounded uncannily like a Pallas's!

On the sea front, I trudged out to see the Snow Buntings, and both were still there showing very well...

What cracking birds!


Another video!

Whilst walking back to the car from the Buntings, I noticed a familiar shape...

About time!

Long overdue this autumn - a Black Redstart

Back at the car, and there was a funny sight waiting for me....

This Pied Wag obviously doesn't like its reflection!


Actually I'm surprised it could see its reflection considering how dirty my windows are!

It was even funnier when it was attacking my windscreen, because it would get so far up before slipping back down again!

I was on the sea front again a little later in the morning, and just as Karen pulled up to say hello I clocked six large birds heading south towards us. They were Greylag Geese, and flew right over our heads and surprisingly continued on a direct line south out to sea! Next stop France...

A good record for the patch - although Cranes would have been much preferred!

No comments:

Post a Comment