Pages

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Gulls...

I just had an afternoon sweep of the Estuary, hoping for a few Gulls with this rather inclement weather!

The 'odd ball' was what I presume was 'The White One'; it was just in front of the tower hide, but I was on the other side of the river near Axmouth...

It didn't fool me today!

The 'glamorous' were this distant couple of Med Gulls from Coronation Corner...

A juv and an adult; the juv continuously followed the adult about and flew whenever and wherever it flew, so I presume it was one of its parents?

And the 'unknown'.... There was only one juvenile large Gull on the Estuary, and I was happy it was just a Herring Gull. When it got out of the water though it did look very deep chested and large, and when it took to the air it looked to have darkish inner primaries and a nice white tail with neat black tail band and only a few dark spots above the tail band. As you can see though, in this photo of it in the water, it looks very uninteresting and Herring-like...

I suppose the dark eye-patch is good for YLG, as were the all black tertials that you can't see in this photo. Could it be a very young YLG!??

Didn't see anything of interest that wasn't a Gull, but over the past couple of days at least seven Common Sands, a Blackwit and a Greenshank have been on the Estuary.

I have got two pretty impressive moth catches to write about, but don't really have time to write this minute. I also have a couple of 'nice' birds to mention that I caught and ringed in the front garden last Saturday, but again you will just have to check back at a later date...

No comments:

Post a Comment