Pages

Thursday 29 July 2010

A Quick One Before I Go...

Tomorrow morning I will be leaving the patch for a few days, so you won't find any updates on this blog until Monday at the earliest.

Before I go though, I have some birdie and mothing news to tell.

This morning Blackhole Marsh proved worthy of a look as this fine Ruff was feeding in the middle of the marsh...

The first of the 'autumn'

Also here were two juv Little Ringed Plovers, nine Common Sandpipers and singles of Dunlin and Black-tailed Godwit. There were four Green Sandpipers on Colyford Common.

The only other notable bird sighting I have to mention since my last post is of a juvenile Med Gull on the Estuary a couple of days ago.

The last time I had my moth trap out was Monday night, it was the best catch I've had for a few weeks with 117 moths of 38 species captured.

This included one first for the garden, a Satin Beauty...

A female - note how wings are held unlike any other 'Beauty'

The rest of the catch looked like this: 12 Riband Wave, 10 Bright-line Brown-eye, 8 Rosy Footman, 7 Willow Beauty, 7 Common Footman, 7 Large Yellow Underwing, 6 Common Rustic, 5 Lesser Yellow Underwing, 5 Dark Arches, 4 Shuttle-shaped Dart, 4 Nut-tree Tussock, 3 minor sp., 3 Pug sp., 3 Buff Ermine, 3 Dingy Footman, 3 Heart and Dart, 3 Flame Shoulder, 3 Double Square-spot, 2 Early Thorn, 2 V-Pug, 2 Uncertain, 2 Beautiful Hook-tip and singles of: Buff Arches, Yellow-tail, Single-dotted Wave, Common Carpet, Garden Carpet, Brussels Lace, Common Pug, Wormwood Pug, Elephant Hawkmoth, Pale Prominent, Magpie, Grey Dagger, Clay, Snout and Spectacle. There were also two moths too worn and battered to even hazard a guess at identifying!

So, I'll just get tonights work shift out the way, and then I'm off for a weekend of bird ringing....

No comments:

Post a Comment