Pages

Friday 7 May 2010

Few Birds But Thankfully Some Moths

Birding is still poor, and very hard work at the moment! It's just so cold!

The best I managed today was my first Hobby of the year from Blackhole Marsh this afternoon. It spent a few minutes in the air towards Seaton Marshes before flying across the river and landing in the wooded slope to the east. Also plenty of Swifts and a few hirundines about. On Blackhole itself a Bar-tailed Godwit, a Common Sandpiper, with a duck selection including the single drake Gadwall and Teal.

Luckily moths gave me some enjoyment today (much more so than seeing Brown still squatting in number ten!).

A cracking first for the garden was this Pale Tussock...

One fine moth!

In all I caught 26 moths of 15 species, the other 25 moths were: 5 Common Quaker, 3 Shuttle-shaped Dart, 3 Hebrew Character, 2 Early Grey, 2 Clouded Drab, 2 Pug sp., and singles of Lunar Marbled Brown, Pale Prominent, Early Thorn, Muslin, Angle Shades, Flame Shoulder, Brimstone and Pine Beauty.

Lastly thanks for the emails, texts and comment on the Pug selection yesterday. They must be tricky as all the replies I got, in one way or another, were different! So in short, I've got no hope myself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment