Pages

Tuesday 27 April 2010

The Odonata Year Begins

Early this afternoon a visit to Lower Bruckland Ponds revealed my first couple of teneral Large Red Damselflies...

Quite late though, most years I have usually seen them by now

While on insects, I'll talk about my mothing attempts over the last couple of nights. Really the catches should have been much better than they were, for example last night I only caught 12 moths of 3 species! These species being Brindled Beauty, Hebrew Character and Common Quaker.

The night before though I did get a couple of firsts for the garden, my first two Carpets of the year....

Water Carpet

Shoulder-striped, which just wouldn't settle so had to be snapped inside the specimen pot!

I'm going to get my Skinner trap out tonight for the first time this year and leave both running overnight. Let's see if that helps....

Now to birds, and a look at the Estuary late morning showed three Greenshank, a Ringed Plover and a couple of Whimbrel...

...not quite the 447+ roosting at Barnacre Res (Lancs) at the moment!!!

Lastly, the Lesser Whitethroat is still singing from scrub south of the track to Blackhole Marsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment