Pages

Saturday 24 April 2010

Back To Work For Me

Well I've had an excellent week off work, despite my car giving me a bit of a headache! Today was the last day of my break, nothing exceptional happened, but this is how it went...

Started the day on a surprisingly cold (but very atmospheric) Seaton Marshes...

looking east from the Borrow Pit over the northern half of the reserve

I couldn't resist taking a few pics of this Mute Swan which was just too photogenic to ignore!!

Sorry!

The reason we (AERG ) were here was for a public ringing demonstration...

And what is Doug holding...?

a Whitethroat!

We caught 23 birds in all, but the only other migrants fondled included two Chiffchaffs and a Willow Warbler.

I spent the rest of the day out birding, Beer Cemetery produced a Sedge Warbler (a site first for me!) with a plenty of hirundines and a Swift overhead. Otherwise everywhere seemed very quiet.

Later on, news of some cracking sea watches in Dorset today encouraged me to try an hour's sea watch from 17:45. It was quiet, and visibility was pretty poor...I don't think anyone has seen the horizon today! The highlight was my first Manx Shearwaters of the year; three flew east at 18:05. Also saw four Sandwich Terns, 16 Black-headed Gulls, a Whimbrel and two Common Scoters.

One of the Sarnies

I'll finish this post with a couple of random photos...

The Common Sand at Lower Bruckland Ponds yesterday

A Little Egret on the Estuary this afternoon...one of the few birds NOT flushed by the canoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment