Pages

Sunday 1 November 2009

Garden Watch

Have had a few birdie highlights in, around, and over the garden within the past couple of days.

A couple of nights ago, at about 02:00 whilst lying in bed not being able to sleep, a Golden Plover flew over calling. Heard thanks to an open window!

Redwings have been frequent, but the highlight have been three Black Redstarts which are feeding on the roof-tops between our house and number 30A. One of these birds being a stonking male, although I haven't seen him today, just the two female-types. Black Red made its way on to the garden list about a year ago, thanks to a female which spent the entire winter in the area.

Have been out and about quite a bit today, but can only offer three Green Sands on Blackhole Marsh (was hoping for my first ever November Wood Sand!) and another Black Redstart on Trevelyan Road.

I did have the moth trap out on Friday night, but when it began hammering it down in the early hours I was forced to bring it in. The small collection in the trap included another Scarce Bordered Straw (I still had my first one in a pot!) and my first Western Conifer Seed Bug. For details of this alien species click HERE.

Back to Thursday morning, I conducted my monthly woodland bird survey in Colyton. Lots of Redwings, a couple of flocks of Fieldfares, a couple of Lesser Redpolls and Siskins and an over-flying Brambling were the highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment