Pages

Friday 11 September 2009

Today's Birding Antics And The World's Best Chocolate Bar

I'll split this post in two, not Birds and Moths though....but Birds and Jibberish! I didn't bother with the moth trap list night, as a catch the night before was totally rubbish! Am trying again tonight though as it's fairly still.

Anyway, back to this post, and I will start with...

BIRDS

Seems to be lots happening at the moment. I joined Ian M and Gav at Blackhole Marsh mid morning, and returned here mid afternoon. Hirundines, Meadow Pipits and Yellow Wags were flying about left right and centre, with a Hobby seen over the valley on both visits. At least three White Wags were feeding on the islands in the afternoon.

It's clear there's been some duck movement recently too, with an impressive flock of c150 Teal whizzing about in the sky after a Chinnock went over in the morning. This afternoon a drake Gadwall was feeding in the corner of the marsh, I had seen it earlier in the day flying over the estuary with a Mallard.

In my opinion a subtly gorgeous duck

The highlight in the wader department today was the three gorgeous Little Stints on Blackhole Marsh this morning, with a small group of Dunlin and Ringed Plover. The light was strong and coming from the wrong direction, but I still tried some photos and am quite pleased with the results. Also singles of Greenshank and Green Sand here.

Stunning little things!

Other waders I've seen in different parts of the river valley today include eight Blackwits and seven Lapwing.

I was treated to an incredible spectacle tonight. Approaching 8pm well over a thousand hirundines went to roost in the crop fields beside Colyford WTW. It really was quite a sight - and sound! I tried to capture it on camera but it was just too dark. This was my best attempt...


This really doesn't do it justice - I urge people to witness it tomorrow night

The only other notable sighting I can report is of a single Whinchat at Lower Bruckland Ponds; only the second one I've ever seen at this site. I'll finish the birdie part of this post with a Little Egret photo I took this afternoon, again the sun was too bright really...

Looking for dinner!

JIBBERISH

This morning, this publication landed on the door mat...

It's the Irish Wetland Bird Survey newsletter (issue 13)

And why do I have this...living in south Devon and all? Well this was page 4...

Anyone recognise something....?

A closer look...

It's CILY! My photo of her too : )

So does this make me an internationally renowned photographer?! If anyone can't remember the journey this bird made, click HERE

Lastly, the second part of the title...

Yesterday we had about 30 cases of these come in...

FLIPPING HECK!

After I tried my first one at about 15:00 yesterday, I've bought twelve of them! And this is why they are soooooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooood.....

To die for!!

They will only be available for a limited time, so get one while you can! And before I eat them all...

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Steve - just stumbled on it from the Essex Moth blog.

    I have family in North Devon, and used to go birding down your way every now and then when visiting so good to see what's going on these days.

    Cheers, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark,

    Thanks for your kind comments. Hopefully this blog with encourage you to visit our corner of Devon again soon.

    All the best,

    Steve : )

    ReplyDelete