Pages

Saturday 29 August 2009

Wryneck - Beer Head!

A great mornings birding today, just a pity I have to go to work : (

I started at Axe Cliff, it was glorious....

Looking towards Beer Head

With it so pleasant, I didn't think there would be much grounded, and I was 'kinda' right. The Axe Cliff visit was well worth it though, as seven Tree Pipits flew west between 06:45 - 08:15, year tick! 14 Yellow Wags also passed west along with a few Swallows, House Martins and Meadow Pipits. The only grounded migrants I came across were one Wheatear, six Blackcaps, three Whitethroats, three Willow Warblers and two Chiffchaffs. Offshore, an impressive feeding flock built up as the morning went on, c80 Gannets and lots of Gulls.

After here, a visit to Blackhole Marsh revealed the same waders still gracing the place, but nothing new.

I then returned home, but soon after went charging back to my car again because my old man had phoned me... he had a Wryneck on Beer Head!!!

I ran straight out to where it was last seen (just below 'The Summit'), and immediately clapped eyes on it. We all watched it for about half an hour, but it was very flighty and jumpy - it never really looked settled. Because of this I'm afraid I'm not going to stun you all with some amazing photos, just some lousy record shots...



Beer Heads first Wryneck (as far as we know anyway!)...and no hint of any east in the wind at all!

I have always LOVED Wrynecks - aren't they just the best!? This was my third ever on patch, the previous two being on the tramline. Well done Dad! : )

Also saw several Wheatears and a couple of Willow Warblers here. We left when the Wryneck flew off west, but it had returned about half an hour later; Dave Helliar re-located it it the same spot Dad first found it.

I then came home, and celebrated in style...

The perfect end to a fantastic two year tick morning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment