Pages

Tuesday 4 August 2009

A Little Tern Up For The Books

Can anyone guess what bird I saw today...three of them in fact!

Early on, Gav had three Little Terns past the seafront, whilst I was getting ready for work. Whilst I was at work they came back and loitered for all to see, but when I finished work at six a half hour sea watch failed to locate them.

I had one last look, up the estuary, and struck gold at Coronation Corner. Three gorgeous Little Terns appeared from up river, I followed them as they slowly flew down river. It was brilliant to see that two of them were juvs - this species always seems to struggle to breed succesfully. They performed superbly, calling to each other as they flew. Great stuff - and patch year tick number 169!

This is only the second time I've EVER seen this species on patch - the first time relates to a group of three too! I think this is the patches first ever autumn record.

After dinner I gave Blackhole Marsh a grill, look...

It's full of water again!

All I could see were 17 Dunlin, 2 Ringed Plovers (ads), a Little Ringed Plover (a juv which I stupidly passed off as just another Ringo; don't know why - I blame rain and tiredness!!), 2 Snipe and several Green and Common Sandpipers. I think our first decent autumn goodie on here will be a Spotted Crake...

No comments:

Post a Comment