Pages

Sunday 30 August 2009

Bank Holiday Birding

A look on Birdguides early afternoon showed the Great White Egret remains at Chard Res, plus a Turnstone. WOW! If a Turnstone is at Chard Red it must mean there's been some wader movement. So I toodled off down the river...

A Blackwit and a Whimbrel were all the estuary had to offer; Black Hole Marsh was more productive though. The Dunlin and Ringed Plover numbers remains pretty samey, singles of Greenshank, Redshank, Blackwit and Lapwing were also on view - still nothing new! Then I saw this....

A Blackhole Marsh tick for me...a Knot

Another look here later on showed yesterdays Ruff had returned - a smart juv.

With the wind blowing, I thought a seawatch would be worthwhile...and it was! I did 14:20 - 16:50 from Spot On Kisok. I was hoping for a year tick - but wasn't expecting this one! At about 16:30 a Storm Petrel danced into my scope view, did a bit of fluttering, double-backed, then disappeared! That was one I thought I'd missed this year - excellent!

Other birds that went into the notebook (all west) were: 26 Common Scoters, 1 Balearic Shearwater (came through with a Manx), 5 Manx Shearwaters, 1 Great Skua (nice and close), 3 Arctic Skuas (close juv and two distant adults, 1 pale 1 dark) and 34 Commic Terns (including at least two lovely juv Arctics).

According to Birdguides the Wryneck remains on Beer Head, waiting for the Backwater Birders to return from their foreign travels I hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment