Pages

Monday 13 July 2009

Even More Mothing...

Had another good session last night, and it was the first time I put the trap in the back garden.

Had 78 moths in all, plus about 10 micro-things, of which only one I bothered to ID...

Small Magpie - easy enough!

There were lots of highlights, but I shall start with 'new for the garden' species...

Brown-tail

A tatty Large Emerald - though this one wasn't strictly in the trap!

Single-dotted Wave

A Royal Mantle - the most notable of my haul

Though this could well be a Wood Carpet - a very good record apparently!

A Light Arches - I think!

The rest of my collection was made up of: 16 Common Footman, 10 Bright-line Brown-eyes, 8 Buff Ermines, 6 Riband Waves (1 banded, 5 pale), 5 Dark Arches, 3 Scalloped Oaks, 3 Small Emeralds, 3 Poplar Hawkmoths, 2 Clouded Borders, 2 Large Yellow Underwings, 2 Willow Beauties, and singles of Elephant Hawkmoth, Peppered Moth, Grey/Dark Dagger (I think the former), Spectacle, Buff Arches, Brimstone, Heart and Dart, Flame Shoulder, Swallow-tailed, Coronet and Uncertain.

Here's a few more pics from this morning, all showing species mentioned in the paragraph above...


Now, time for the update on the catch from the other day. Thanks to Matt and Kevin for some ID help and confirmation, I can add some more species to the garden list...

This was my favourite - a Nut-tree Tussock

Though this one the rarest - a worn Scallop Shell

Shuttle-shaped Dart

Had two of these - Coronet

Common Carpet - nice!

Common Marbled Carpet - boring!

Still not quite sure what these are though, any ideas blog readers?...

Quite a dark thing

A very pretty thing!

I'm loving this learning curve, really REALLY enjoying it! Don't worry though, birds haven't totally been pushed out! Last night I twitched a juvenile Goosander on the river (year tick number 168!) and late this morning had a lovely Hobby low over Lower Bruckland Ponds.

No comments:

Post a Comment