Pages

Tuesday 21 July 2009

Beware Of The Leopard

Despite the rain during the night and this morning, it was another good catch with 84 moths of 31 species. I put the trap in the front garden again for the first time in well over a week. There are more flowers and plants here, where as the back garden has larger trees including four fruit trees.

It's a bit weird really, because on Sunday night I wanted a Peach Blossom - on Monday morning I got one! Last night I wanted a Leopard Moth, and this morning I got this...

WOW! A Leopard Moth!

This wasn't the rarest of the catch though, not by a long way! I also had one of these...

WOW WOW WOW!!!! A Dewick's Plusia!

And this was another attractive first for the garden...

Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing - bit of a mouthful really!

The more mundane first for the garden were...

Buff Footman - I had five of these!

Small Rivulet

And a worn Dot Moth

The rest of the catch was made up of: 16 Silver Y's (nice to have these as the commonest species), 7 Uncertains, 6 Shuttle-shaped Darts, 6 Heart and Darts, 5 Large Yellow Underwings, 4 Dark Arches, 4 Buff Ermines, 4 Small Fan-footed Waves, 3 Peppered Moths, 2 Swallow-tailed Moths, 2 Bright-line Brown-eyes, 2 Smoky Wainscots and singles of: Grey Dagger, Poplar Grey, Purple Thorn, Common Footman, Spectacle, Clay, Flame Shoulder, Buff-tip, Lesser Yellow Underwing, Small Fanfoot, Scalloped Oak, Common Rustic and Light Arches.

Finally a couple more photos...

I love all the Thorns - this is my second Purple Thorn

This is the first tidy Swallow-tail I've caught! All others have had at least one 'tail' missing!

2 comments:

  1. Wow indeed,amazing Moth Images.
    Love the Leopard,well done Steve.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John,

    This hobby just gets better and better! : )

    ReplyDelete